Summer means baseball and swimming and ice cream! But unfortunately, it also can mean high energy bills, thanks to air conditioning and having the kids at home. Click through to learn how to lower your utility bills and save money this summer.
The summer heat is often the culprit behind jumps in electricity costs during the summer months, so do what you can now to conserve energy and avoid additional costs as the weather heats up. If you're looking to cut back on your spending throughout the summer, your utility bills are great places to start when making changes to your everyday life.
Here are 10 ways to save on utility bills during the summer months, adopt an environmentally friendly lifestyle and avoid overspending on household expenses this year.
- Switch Off the Lights When You Leave a Room – Turning off the lights when walking out of a room is a great way to curb your energy consumption in the summer.
- Use Rain as a Free Water Source – Collecting rainwater in buckets during a storm is an active way to cut down on your water usage while taking care of your yard this season.
- Close Your Blinds and Curtains During the Day – Keeping the heat out on bright, sunny days is an effective way to control your energy expenses this summer.
- Keep Doors and Vents Shut – Closing off parts of your house where you don't spend much time is a convenient way to limit cooling costs while at home during the summer.
- Spend Your Free Time Outside – Going out every day to embrace the warm weather and enjoy the great outdoors is a smart way to use less energy in the summertime.
- Find Creative Ways to Cool Down – Drinking ice-cold beverages and taking cool showers are small ways to save money on utilities while making the most of the summer.
- Put Wet Clothes Out on a Clothesline – Using the hot summer sun to dry your clothes after washing them is an effortless way to reduce utility bills and spend time outside.
- Monitor the Temperature on Your Thermostat – Setting a default number for your air conditioning is a simple way to keep your energy bills from rising when it's hot outside.
- Opt for Fans Instead of Air Conditioning – Circulating air throughout your home with fans is an economical way to cool down your living space while using less energy.
- Unplug Electronics That Aren't Being Used – Pulling out their cords when you're not using your electronics and chargers is an easy way to limit your energy usage this summer.
These 10 ways to save on utility bills during the summer months will keep you from breaking the bank when the weather gets warmer this year. Whether you're focused on using less water, running your air conditioning on a lower setting or another method, it's possible to cut back on power usage and save money in the process.